Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Service changed the time 24hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsully

MIS
Sep 4, 2003
US
I came in this morning and a number of people said they couldn't access network resources or that they got a message saying system time does not match network time.

I look and the date on all servers and most computers has jumped back one day.

I check my DC and it has a entry in the System Event Log saying "Time service corrected the clock error by 86483 seconds" This works out to be about 24 hours.

Any idea what could have caused this?

Antivirus is sup to date and a scan came back clean.

W2K Servers with SP4. Within a month or two of being current with Microsoft updates.

David

Users.....not just for breakfast anymore!!

Is your domain connected to a particular time server? You may want to take a look to see if it has experienced an issue. Also the DC running the PDC emulator role to see if it hasn't had a BIOS issue causing the clock to fail

I am using a clock sync program to get atomic time. The current server that was selected did not respond so maybe that was the problem. I picked another server and it pinged back.

A BIOS clock issue would only come into play after a restart, right? That's the only time the OS checks the MB clock. correct me if I am wrong.

thanks for responding!

David

Users.....not just for breakfast anymore!!

That is correct, unless the time in the BIOS was wrong you wouldn't notice until bootup. Then again your time server would end up correcting the time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back