Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time out session without kill

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinard

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2007
CA
Hi,

is there a way to add a time out session parameter (such as TMOUT, but for the application, not the shell), which wouldn't kill the session but would act as a screensaver?

As an example, let say I'm entering a customer order but go away of my computer. After a certain time, the parameter would freeze the session. After coming back and entering once again my username and password, I would be redirected to the same order screen as if I wouldn't have leave my screen.

thanks for your help
Steve

This would be a question to ask the vendor of the application. Most vendor's will take your idea and run it through their quality/security units for possible inclusion.

However, why would a vendor want to double the efforts, if the OS already does this for them?

This is from a security point of vue.

In our stores, all the employees know the username and password of the O/S. This means that if an employee leaves the computer with an opened session of the application installed on openVMS (session opened with his username and password .. different of the OS one), another employee could take control of the computer (knowing the OS username and password) and enter in transactions under the first employee's username. If something goes wrong with the transactions, the first employee would be the one to blame!

Wouldn't it be a better/easier idea to educate the users to log out when walking away from the computer? This step should be essential in any/all computer training.

A single account on computers for the employees to logon to any/all computers is never a good idea. Each individual should have their own logon for the OS.

I would contact the vendor with this issue. Maybe they will include in the next version this capability. Possible that they already have this capability.

I agree with you! However, this method is not sufficient for the auditors. The control in place must be automatically managed.

Anyway, I think I've found a program that will resolve my problem!
thanks for your help!
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back