Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

time out problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rk68

Programmer
Jul 15, 2003
IN
I am getting this error in CGI script while executing a script.
(70007)The timeout specified has expired: ap_content_length_filter: apr_bucket_read() failed, referer:
The script is executing about 6-7 sql, therefore takes time to display the output, hence the above error.
How can I sort out this problem. Is there any facility of setting timer or timer function. I'm deploying the script on Apache server.

TIA
Raj

I have also made the changes in HTTP.conf file
timeout 1800 (earlier it was 300). But still giving the same error. Do I need to restart the apache server to get changes in effect in HTTP.conf.

TIA
Raj

I'd assume you need to restart the server, or at least get it to reload the config
--Paul

cigless ...

I have increased the timeout period to 3600 secs in http.conf & re-started the apache server, but still after 1 hour it gives the time out error.
If I press the stop button of Internet Explorer, then the output is displayed for some records fetched else it just shows blank page & after one hour gives time out error.
What could be the reason ? Please help.

Thanks
Raj

after '1 hour'?!!
I'd assert that this is not an appropriate use for a web server/browser architecture. Maybe submit the data processing request to a server of some sort which will write the results to disk, and send the user an email when the job is done and the results are available.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

I would suggest also working to tune your SQL as much as you can. 6 to 7 statements taking more than an hour to complete is horrible from a database side, let alone what it's doing on the webserver side.

- Rieekan

Do you have any idea how many rows are in the database(s) you're accessing and how many others are using the table(s) besides you and your web users? If you're accessing tables with millions of rows than it would be better to create temporary tables that are subsets of the original tables. This method takes the load off the database server as well as allows your sql statements to process against a much smaller set of tables and consequently running much faster and with less overhead.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

AND/OR make sure you have an appropriate index built on the table(s)/column(s) you are using and make sure your sql is taking advantage of the index.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back