Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time out/Log off Enterprise Network issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdbowling

Programmer
Mar 28, 2003
US
Hi all,
My boss is really riding me about this. Is there some sort of script that I can write or set up that runs every minute or so that will 'trigger an event' like a mouse movement or anything to stop the log off timer.

The company wide network logs you off if you aren't doing anything in about a minute and that's not enough to finish a phone call. Info Systems has us all locked out from admin rights so I can't install Macro Magic or it would be easy to write a macro that runs every 60 seconds. Any suggestions out there?

Thank all
PB

Generally this behavior is implemented in hooks. Because hooks are not usually associated with a window, you can't simply SendMessage to them, unfortunately.

I think complaining would produce much better results LOL

I'm sorry I didn't read your post thouroughly, but this idea just came to me:

Does the network "abortively" log you off, i.e., does it end the session immediately, or does it prompt to save documents and whatnot?

If it prompts to save, then write a simple program that creates a minimized window. Handle the WM_QUERYENDSESSION message by unconditionally returning FALSE. This will keep the system from shutting down, as long as the program is running.

When you actually do want to log off, simply close the window with the 'X' button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back