Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time on the telephones is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

rejackson

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2005
US
CM 6.2.1, System manager, session manager server all have the correct time but the telephones are 4 minutes fast. Where do they get their time that it can be different from the servers?

The servers are sync'd to NTP at the System platform and I know it is service disrupting to change that configuration. When the system was first set up the BP set the time servers there and everything reset and the time ws correct on the phones. I am not sure how to get it to push the time again. Do I reboot the system platform or unset the NTP configuration and set it back? Ideally I could find out what is giving the phones their time and reset that.

Richard

Check in this location: "change system-parameters features" page 10

System Updates Time On Station Displays
If enabled, automatically updates the system time on two-line display telephones when you run background maintenance, for example, when you plug in the telephone set. The system sends the time update periodically to the telephones. This parameter does not apply to telephones such as the BRI telephones, where the user sets the time

Hudson22

I now see that this is the same as a post yesterday. Did you try that and it did not work?
Hudson22

It did not work. Or if it did it is the source of the time that has the problem. I plan to reset the time sources this weekend which will reset all of the servers, which have the correct time now. and hopefully correct the time in the phones.

It did not work. Or if it did it is the source of the time that has the problem. I plan to reset the time sources this weekend which will reset all of the servers, which have the correct time now. and hopefully correct the time in the phones.

I did run into an issue where one server of a duplex CM on System Platform had the NTP running and the other server did not. Time was not correct on the phones.
Hudson22

I always forget about this screen.
display locations Page 1 of 16
LOCATIONS

ARS Prefix 1 Required For 10-Digit NANP Calls? y

Loc Name Timezone DST City/ ARS Atd Loc Disp Prefix Proxy Sel
No Offset Area FAC FAC Parm Parm Rte Pat
Worth a look

Thanks
ED

1a2 to ip I seen it all

Yes I use the locations all the time. I have 51 locations now with the offsets configured with even hour offsets except for India (11.5 hours from Dallas). The problem is some kind of sync issue because whatever servcer or board is giving the phones their time is only 4 minutes fast. Not the worng time zone or offset. I every location across the world the phones, both IP and Digital, have the time 4 minutes fast for their location. But I dont see any of the invloved servers with the wrong time.

If you have two servers for redundancy, you have 2 system platforms running, each has independent time settings, log on to the active system platform and check the time settings. Also when logged into cm do "display time" and you'll see the incorrect time. Do an interchange and log into cm, do display time, now the time is right? If it is you 100% have ntp on only one of the system platform settings and the other has none and has lost 4 minutes. (I was also caught by this but in a different way)

------------------------------------------
Self Taught Genius!!

Indeed what happens from each system platform if you query the ntp sources, from shell type pgrep ntpd do this from dom 0 , cdom and cm and ensure you get the same results on each location,this will at least prove network connectivity, I had something identical on 6.2.0823 ,where only a restart of the ntpd deamon would resolve the issue but for only a week or so , this turned out to be a work mate installing the wrong patch on platform BBC hope that helps

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

That was the problem danparrish. After a power outage the other sys platform took over and the BP had not set up the NTP in it. I rolled the servers and the time corrected on the phones. THen set the NTP config on the standby. Thanks for the help all

Glad it's sorted :)

Take Care

Dan

------------------------------------------
Self Taught Genius!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back