Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time on Netware 5?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shupe

MIS
Jan 11, 1999
US
I have a single NW5 Server and the time keeps adjusting itself. It is set up as a single reference so I thought it would just take the BIOS clocks time. I adjust the time and by the end of the day it is about 20 minutes off again. Does anyone know what I can do??

A single ref server should not be adjusting its time - BUT if you are downing it and bringing it back up into a network where time is synchronised it will fit itself into network time, not the other way round. (even tho' the others are set up as secondary - there's an exception to every rule!)<br>
<br>
Other than that all I can think of is that the Bios clock is a bit dodgy, perhaps it would be worth leaving it in Dos for a bit a see if it loses time there as well.<br>
<br>
When back in the server what you could do is try the SET HARDWARE CLOCK=ON (check the wording of that one I wrote it from memory!) A single ref server with this setting will actually adjust the bios clock as well as initially taking its time from it.<br>
<br>
Hope that helps, let us know how you get on!

Check Your timezone, then skip the reference, just leave<br>
it as default (secondary?), as long as You don't have any other dependent servers, it's an overkill to configure it as a reference.<br>
<br>
Otherwise, check Your hardware for errors (CMOS/Battery a.s.o)<br>
<br>
Regards: Mike

There is a TID on the support.novell.com site (10017427) that addresses this problem. They suggest a<br>
new version of timesync.nlm and use a NTP source - either an Internet site or a loop back. This TID is<br>
dated 14-Dec-99....

I also have just had this problem. My answer was that I had put in an extra board Com3 and used IRQ 7 (as there were not printers) IRQ 8 is the clock IRQ. Took the board out<br>
all OK

I have exactly the same problem on my NW 5 server at home.&nbsp;&nbsp;Get this...&nbsp;&nbsp;I used to have NW 4.11 installed on the computer before I received the NW5 3 user demo.&nbsp;&nbsp;Everything worked perfect (time wise) with 4.11, until I decided to blow away the 4.11 server for a fresh NW 5 install.&nbsp;&nbsp;Everything worked as planned UNTIL I installed service pack 1.&nbsp;&nbsp;The server started displaying the following message and I would begin loosing time:<br>&nbsp;4-18-2000&nbsp;&nbsp;10:54:59 pm:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;SERVER-5.0-3651&nbsp;&nbsp;[nmID=50020]<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;POLICY MANAGER - (5.00-035): Update Connection License failed.&nbsp;&nbsp;Error #<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;C0001001. (.CN=paul.O=LAWHEAD.T=DIR_TREE.)<br>Since it was a test server, I decided to re-install from scratch again.&nbsp;&nbsp;Again, before the SP was installed, everything worked fine.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>I decided about a month ago to re-install the server again (after extensive testing) but I delayed installing any service packs.&nbsp;&nbsp;I didn't loose any time and I wasn't getting any error kicked back.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since NW5 SP4 recently came out, I decided to install it (hoping for the best), but wouldn't you know it...&nbsp;&nbsp;the problem is back.&nbsp;&nbsp;This time I'm not going to re-install. I just disabled the clients network time sync'ing so it doesn't mess up my workstation's clock.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'll just live with the problem (unless somebody has a good answer).

Check to see that you have all of your drivers updated.<br><br>Changing the driver for our cdrom had&nbsp;&nbsp;solved our problem.<br><br>

I had the same problem, even got Synthetic time notices after I brought the slow time up to current time.<br>The deal is, there are problems with the timesync.nlm that comes with the software.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;After much research and digging, I back-reved it to 5.09 and that fixed it. <br>I tried versions between the 5.09 and the current one, and had to go all the way back to 5.09 to fix it.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>They (the project where the problem was) is running NW Small Business Suite 5 on an HP LCII server.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I had gone through changing the battery on the server, the whole schmeel until I found the timesync solution.

If you have internet access, use an NTP source (e.i., 128.118.25.3:123) and set the hardware clock to off. If this IP addr is no good, yahoo the term &quot;ntp&quot; and you will find lots more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back