Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time not calculating properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlynsdad

Programmer
Nov 18, 2010
US
varSignon = 8:24:51AM, varSignoff = 6:29:14PM.
My code reads
Code:
If rst1![event_type] = 3 Then
varSignoff = rst1![signoff]
varSignon_Dur = ((varSignoff - varSignon) * 24 * 60 * 60)

Event_type=3, so varSignon_Dur should equal 36263 seconds, but is showing zero, but computes correctly prior to this. Any problems in this formula?

If the square peg won't fit in the round hole, sand off the corners.

I tried DateDiff but got the same zero answer for varSignon_Dur. varSignon is initiated earlier in the module and when this code runs, has a value of 8:24:51 AM. After this code runs I null all the variables before the code loops to another day, but at this point none are null. I'm using the Watch Window (see earlier post on making the font bigger) to keep track of all the variables, and stepping through the code to see them change as expected. But the zero is an unexpected number; I should be getting 36263 seconds.

It's going thru a loop, so it's the same code every iteration. 10 times through the loop; 7 times the code works, 3 times it doesn't. Even when I step it through, I see it fail, but it's a simple A=B-C formula, and there's no clue why it fails.

Is there any known issue with DateDiff when you're subtracting a time from 11:59:59 PM?

FYI this code works off a call center phone database. I discovered that the phone database had thrown me a curve. It normally does A, B & C in order, but someone did something totally unexpected and caused it to do A, B, B & C, which threw off the code entering the loop. Thanks for your patience and insight.

'Tis an old, old adage, but still true, nonetheless: GIGO

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back