Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time issue on an NT network for W2K member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitemtntn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
US
I have an NT network (PDC and BDC are NT 4 machines). I now have a Windows 2000 member server. All machines on my network use the NET TIME command in logon scripts to time sync with the PDC.
But.... although the same is configured for the W2K member, he is reporting a Win32time event 64 every 16 hours. (This is because W2K machines by default look for W2K time servers). I even used the Scheduler to run the NET TIME every day. This doesn't solve the problem.
So, my NT server is not running Timeserv, and its not running W32time. Before I install either, I am researching.....
What is the simplest way to make the W2K machine have a good TIME on an NT network?
thanks,
WhiteMtntn

Just turn off the TimeSync service on the NT 2000 server, at least until you upgrade to 2000 on the remainder of the systems.

I assume the "Timesync" service on Windows 2000 be the "Windows Time" service in Services? True?
-WhiteMtntn

Here's your fix. I had to do this too as I have several Win2K clients on my NT network.
FROM MS KB

If you have an existing time synchronization hierarchy in your Windows NT 4.0-based domain using W32Time and you want to have the Windows 2000-based computers participate:

On a Windows NT 4.0-based domain controller that is running W32Time, edit the %SystemRoot%\W32time.ini file and set the "LocalNTP=yes" value.

On the same domain controller, at the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net stop w32time
w32time -update
net start w32time
On the Windows 2000-based computer, at a command prompt, type net time /setsntp: domain controller .

Where domain controller is the domain controller you modified in steps 1 and 2.
NOTE : If you are using Timeserv on the Windows NT 4.0-based domain, you must upgrade to the W32Time service before using this procedure. Timeserv does not support being a Local NTP server.

I have already read this MS knowledgebase article...
As I stated before, I am neither using TimeServ, nor W32time on my NT domain controllers. I have no W32time.ini file to edit. Nor do I really want to install W32time if I don't need to.
I have only one W2K server, and I turned off the Windows Time service on it, and am using the Net Time command with the scheduler to synchronize time with the PDC. This has eliminated the error.
-WhiteMtntn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back