Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time frozen on MICS cabinet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynot13

Technical User
Jan 12, 2004
CA
I was recently called to a customer with a 8x24 cabinet that I suspect took a power hit as it was not functioning. I replaced the 8x24 with a MICS s/w 7.1, 2-port fiber cartridge and 2 station mods. On their 8x24 they had 22 T7316e sets and 23 T7100 sets which were moved over to the new system. After reprogramming and getting everything working I found that the time display on the phones would not update. If you momentarily went off hook and then hung up the handset the time would update for that set only, all other phones would not change. I suspected that I may have had a bad motherboard or corruption on that cabinet so I reprogrammed a different cabinet from startup (this time it was a MICS s/w 6.0). After getting this cabinet installed I discovered that all features seem to be functioning properly however the time is frozen on the sets until you use the phone and then it updates to the current time. All other phones do not change unless they are used, which is odd because every phone on the system could display a different time depending on when they were used last.

This morning I restarted the system and the clocks on the phones that I was monitoring updated as usual for about 5 minutes and then they froze. Same thing if I went off hook the time display would update to the current time on that one set but not advance. As I said earlier all other system features are working as expected.

Since we have installed 2 different MICS cabinets with different software levels and they both seem to be acting the same is very bizarre. Has anyone every experienced anything like this or have any suggestions?

I forgot to add that I metered the power to the system and it is reading roughly 117 VAC coming out of the receptacle, UPS and the power bar. The voltage on the 4 analog lines connected to the system is 48.2 VDC.

In my 30 years installing Norstar I've never seen the problem you describe on one cabinet, never mind two.

Is it possible the carrier Caller ID time is screwing with the MICS clock. Turn off auto-update and see what happens.

Marv ccna

Thanks Marv, I will try this next week when I can get back to site.

Usually if it freezes it is for all sets and does not recover, it is then the clock chip or crystal on the mobo is kaputski.

Also try your first replacement in your lab to prove it's not a carrier issues should Marv's tip not work.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Here was the resolution that I discovered today after re-visiting the customer site. Also I had my first replacement system plugged in all weekend and the time advanced as expected so I figured it must be something either with a device(s) onsite or the local carrier lines connected to the system.

Any way here is what I found: Customer had a T7406e base station connected to a couple of the station ports on the KSU (which I moved over to the new system) but did not have working batteries in the two handsets so I could not test when I was there last week. I took a charged battery for the T7406e handset with me this morning but was unable to make either handset work. The station ports looked normal in the system programming so I didn't think to try removing the BS from the system. After removing the power from the base station, disconnecting the station ports to the base station and rebooting the KSU; all services came back and the display on all the phones starting advancing. For some reason the base station must have got cooked when their old system quit working last week and was locking up some functions on the KSU.

Thanks for you input Marv and CurlyCord!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back