Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time determined access to certain ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nTT911

Instructor
Jan 30, 2005
SE
Is there any way to configure the PIX 501 Firewall to grant access to a certain port only at a specific time of day?

The scenario is like this:
I only want gaming available after working hours. 08.00-16.00 ports are denied, 16.00-08.00 ports are open for gaming. Is this possible with my Firewall (Cisco PIX 501)? If not does anybody have an idea on how to make this happend?

I use Windows Server 2003 with clients running win xp through a domain.

The only way I know of, would require someone to do it manually.. which isn't all to tough, but still.. i don't know of any automated way.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

This feature does not exist on the Pix but it does on Firewall-1. The only way that I can think that you would be able to do it would be to have a script on a *nix box running as a cron job that could ssh in and change the applied access list to an interface.

Possibly far too much messing about to be worth it.

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

It does exist in the pix, but only in 7.0 which does not work on the pix 501 yet. also a cisco router has time based acl's

Network Systems Engineer
CCNA/CQS/CCSP/Infosec

Off subject but how much different is 7.0 ? Is there any improvement on routing between multi VPNs? As in:

Client --vpn-->Pix<---vpn-->Pix--->Internal Host

I know the pix isnt a router but it would sure be nice to have this capability.

Well, the docs say support for spoke to spoke communications, but i have not had a chance to test it yet.

Network Systems Engineer
CCNA/CQS/CCSP/Infosec

Thnx for all the replies! I will try the cattools when i get the time and report back if its successfull! Thx again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back