Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Capsule + Windows PC not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekkieDave

Technical User
May 22, 2002
US
I just installed a brand new XP machine for a user with an old XP machine and a Mac Mini, all connected to a Time Capsule.

The Mac Mini and the new XP machine work fine with the Time Capsule.

The old XP machine, however, cannot and never has been able to connect to the Time Capsule's hard drive. I've installed the airport utility, and the program sees the Time Capsule, however, when I try to connect to it, it gives me the following error:

"Unknown user, inncorrect password, or login is disabled. Please retype the login information or contact..."

I did literally the exact same install on the brand new machine as I did on the old machine, and the brand new machine worked like a charm.

Has anyone seen this error? The only difference between the setups is that the old PC is XP HOME, and the new machine is XP PRO.

**Okay, have you tried rebooting the machine?**

XP Home does have limited networking capabilities compared with XP Pro. XP Home cannot connect to an AD domain.

I don't know if this is related to your problem or not.

I thought that might be part of the issue, but it's a home workgroup, it's not in a domain.

I doesn't make any difference, xp home is a piece of crap! Either use XP PRO or get another MAC!

....JIM....

Syquest...Let me get this straight. I'm having trouble getting an XP home machine to see a TimeCapsule disk, and your advice is to just buy a brand new Mac?

Why would you even post this? It is completely unconstructive.

I'm a computer guy trying to fix an issue. If I told a user / customer "Oh, you just gotta buy a brand new computer", every time there was some problem, I would have been out of business a long time ago.

Also, would it kill you to proof read before you post?

I don't know if this applies to your problem or if you have already tried this, but here is a link to an Apple support forum thread dealing with XP and time capsule. Not necessarily a solution, but somethings to check...

Also, here is a pdf on setting up TimeCapsule...

and the comments from the article hosting the pdf may be helpful too...

TekkieDave, I'm confused why you take any issue with SYQUEST's suggestion to get another Mac but don't mind the suggestion of XP Pro. If you want aid here, don't take aim at messengers.

I have no experience with Time Capsule but seeing that it is an Apple product, it would make sense that the best compatibility would come with a Mac. Generic NAS from another vendor is much cheaper.

If I recall correctly there is some sort of a registry hack that restores some of XP Home's stripped down network capabilities.

Thanks fisher, I'll check those out.

spamjim, I take issue with the suggestion of "just get another machine", not Mac or XP. It's a copout answer, and it's a waste of space.

And of course the best compatability would come from a mac, but the question that I posted wasn't "What's the best way to use TimeCapsule's disk on a network".

The question was "this is my setup, X isn't working. Does anybody know why?"

Syquest's post doesn't address the problem at all, it's just a workaround. Everyone else's response, including yours, addresses a way to troubleshoot the issue.

Dave, I think what you are missing is that you have an option to either brush off what you perceive as a useless comment or you can present yourself here as someone who will argue or take issue with any random post presented. I'd think you probably want to be less intimidating/antagonizing to the next guy who might have the answer you need.

Does the XP Home system have all service packs? Is Bonjour installed? Are you using spaces or odd characters in the names of shares or users?

...and can XP Home connect to a share on the Mac Mini?

spamjim...I hear what you are saying, and the point is taken., but look at that post. Do you really think that is constructive? And I am grateful to the people that actually have tried to help me, yourself included.

I Tried mapping directly to the TC share, no dice. Will check out the service packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back