Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time Based Access Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansleight

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2000
US
I want to be able to limit my childern's access to the computer. I like in XP that they each have their own accounts, and I would like to set up rules for each account that limits the times that they can access the computer.

For instance, I want the young children to only be able to access the computer from 2pm to 4pm, so they don't become dependant on it for entertainment, and so they don't disrupt other more important use of the computer. I want the teens to be able to access the computer anytime during the day, but not be able to stay on after say 9:30 on the nights before school, and 12:00 on weekends.

Can I set up rules in XP, or do I have to use a 3rd party app, and if so, which applications are good, and which should I avoid.

How do I restrict a User's Logon hours?

"You can only restrict when a user can log on to the system. On a stand alone computer, there is no way, currently, to force a user to log off when their hours expire.

1) Open Help and Support and type "logon hours" (without the quotes) in the search box.
2) Go to Full text matches and click on "Net user". See the examples for setting a user's logon hours. Some examples would be:

net user johnsw /time:M-F,08:00-17:00
net user johnsw /time:M-F,8am-5pm
net user marysl /time:M,4am-5pm;T,1pm-3pm;W-F,8:00-17:00
net user johnsw /time:all (this one means this user can always log on)

3) Open a Command Prompt window.
4) Enter the appropriate "net user" command for the user(s) you wish to restrict access for.

This page last updated 05/01/2002 23:09
All material © 2002 - Doug Knox"

You can have a look around here for third party offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back