Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tightvnc

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeepmur

Programmer
Dec 14, 2003
PT
Hi,

am using tightvnc to access my home desktop. I havent configured any port and use only the IP to access the machine.

I can access the desktop when working on my home LAN but not on the internet.

I am also facing the same problem with telnet. I have a firewall running at home but have left open the telnet port 23 and the http port 80 but still cant reach my machine..
keep getting the error:
Connecting To 81.193.1xx.3xx...Could not open a connection to host on port 23 :
Connect failed

any help please?

thnx in adv,
sg

You say you're using "a firewall" -- this is almost certainly the cause. What sort of firewall is it? Or is it actually a cable/DSL router/switch combo thingie, like a Linksys or D-Link?

If it's the latter, you'll need to set up port forwarding for ports 23, and 5800 or 5900 for vnc (default).

1. The Firewall is EZAMOR from Computer Associates. BUT even with the firewall down, am unable to access my machine!

2. Am using a DSL USB cable modem supplied by the ISP. Its a generic modem.

3. The firewall has been configured to leave the ports 80,23 and 5800 open.

4. One good news is I can access my machine via the browser using applet as in BUT again only with the firewall down.

5. I have restarted my machine and firewall with the new config but still unable to get thru...

thnx again,
sg

Sandeepmur

First, RealVNC docs refer to ports 5800 AND 5900.

Second, but perhaps most importantly, low-cost consumer devices are--to put it tactfully--"highly firmware dependent."

This means that the user cannot know for sure WHAT is going to happen with a given device and firmware. There are many incarnations of the firmware, often having lifetimes of only months, and there is no detailed documentation. One call to LinkSys, D-Link, Netgear tech support yields one answer and a follow-up call yields an apparently conflicting answer.

Cisco is supposed to have over 100,000 pages of documentation on their products. It is massive. Try to find a sample setup detail or white paper on the consumer manufacturer sites: nada.

These devices use a small subset of the large number of options (software and harware) that are needed to support a capable commercial device (which may be 5-10 times the cost of the consumer device).

Imagine trying to write meaningful English sentences but you are only allowed to use half the letters of the alphabet.

So some things just won't work and we will never know why. As someone said, it is "Plug & Pray."

There seems to be a big success gap between use of basic functions on these devices and their more sophisticated functions.

You would never hear that from a manufacturer, though.

Yours,
Mike

Hi again,

I have a slightly different problem now.. I can connect to my home machine by typing and I obtain the Login screen but on typing the password keep getting a error, something like "Network: no route available to server".

What does this mean and how can i resolve this?

thnx,
sg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back