Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tightvnc

Status
Not open for further replies.

cndcadams

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2004
US
Ok I am going crazy. i am trying to set up tightvnc on an H70 running 4.3.3-11.

problems;

1) the biggest problem is my lack of knowledge when it comes to compiling issues.

2) For every problem I solve I run into another one.

3) Basically I ran into some dependency issues which all I could find on the web said to install GNU make utility so I did this. At this point when I run configure I get the following issues;
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/vnc_unixsrc/Xvnc/programs/Xserver/hw/vnc'
Makefile:546: *** missing separator. Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/vnc_unixsrc/Xvnc/programs/Xserver/hw/vnc'
make[2]: *** [depend] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/vnc_unixsrc/Xvnc/programs/Xserver'
make[1]: *** [depend] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/vnc_unixsrc/Xvnc/programs'
make: *** [depend] Error 2

I tried to edit the Makefile to fix the missing separator but when I run configure again it removes my edit. I read on the web that there could be a Makefile.in file which needs to be edited for my edits to be saved but there is no Makefile.in that I can edit. This is where my lack of knowledge really kicks in. Does the Imakefile relate in anyway to a Makefile.in (if not chalk this up to my ignorance). Second if I am suppossed to edit the Imakefile why is it different that the Makefile (seeing they are different I can only assume that Imakefile and Makefile.in are not the same).

If this rambling should be posted in another forum just let me know and I will move on..p.s What forum would you suggest?

Also if anyone has any other suggestions for exporting Xterm to PC (must be free) I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks

signed I don't want to waste anymore of my time on something that should be easy..

CA

hello,

are you sure that the GNU make is the one invoked during the compilation process ?

nevertheles, I will suggest fist to use the vncserver prepackaged by IBM :)

rpm -ivh to install it.

Most of the stuff go in /opt/freeware/bin.

you will have to edit /usr/bin/X11/vncserver, and
uncomment / modify the following lines :

$cmd .= " -fp /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/";

$cmd .= " -co /usr/lpp/X11/bin/rgb";

when you launch first vncserver with the following command :
vncserver :1 -geometry 800x600

it will create a /.vnc/xstartup from which you delete the last line and add :

/usr/lpp/X11/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession &

hope this helps,

letis;

Thanks for the response.

1) yes I am sure that GNU make is being invoked I ran make -v to confirm this.

2)I will probably end up trying IBM VNC (already have it downloaded in a folder for later installation experience). The reason I am working on tightvnc is the office supervisor went to an IBM conference and 1 of the classes he took they were using tighvnc.

3)Question for you or anyone;

I have figured out that Imake is being called from the Makefile which in turn ends up removing my edits to the Makefile when I run configure. When I try to do a more on the Imake executable I get garbage, also when I try to vi Image it gives to info except it states executable at the bottom?

I come from a Solaris background so I am still in a learning curve with the Aix OS.

Again;

thanks for the info

CA

Status
Not open for further replies.