Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tightvnc server being deleted from clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have been using tightvnc to remote administer some of our client machines, but we have had several clients where the vnc server component has somehow been deleted. We installed it on a few machines and the next day it was simply gone from several of them. I tested all our anti-virus and adware programs that we are using and none of them even reported vnc being a problem on the test machines. But on some of the client machines the vnc server is completely gone. The files are gone. The install directory is gone. I can not find anything that tells me what is deleting the files. The users dont have admin rights to the machines even if they wanted to uninstall it. Can anybody point me in the right direction to figure out what's going on?

thanks

i dont think so. A couple of the machines did have an old version of defender on it and I suspected it to begin with, but a couple of them did not..

I think i found the culprit. On some of our old machines there was an old version of Pest Patrol running. We havnt used Pest Patrol for a long time and it wasnt on any of the test machines I was working with. Anyway I have removed Pest Patrol from a couple of the problem machines and hope to find out that vnc is not deleted from them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back