Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougal77

Technical User
May 5, 2004
GB
Anyone installed Tiger yet? Any issues? My one worry is Suitcase, the app that causes me most problems in Panther.

If you'e using suitcase, that means you're using high end design apps - for professional output.

I'd wait a good long time before playing around with 10.4. Let the "gotta have the latest" crowd find the various imcompatabilities. At least you won't be missing deadlines with crashing apps, etc.

I would wait until at least 10.4.1 comes out. It's rumoured to be in the hands of developers now.

Tiger seems to be full of bugs at the moment. A lot of networking / finder bugs.

My experience is not fantastic. Some major annoyances but only a couple of crashes.

And bloody annoying network / Appletalk / Scipting issues

I have just upgraded to Tiger 10.4.2 and I am not overly thrilled with it. Fonts became an immediate problem, my design software was crashing constantly. I stumbled on the Font Book feature which appears to be the equivolent of Suitcase. I disabled Suitcase and moved everything to the Font Book and now manage my fonts from there. It is not as convenient as Suitcase but the crashes have cut back considerably. Other than that, things are starting to run smoother but sometimes my fonts just shut off and then pop back on so a design I am working on goes from the specified font, to Courier and then back to the specified font, but not usually before it crashes. Anyone know anything else?

I have heard of issues with Apache 2 - like a web sharing request drawing half a picture - then just stopping? i.e. Might be better to steer clear if you are going to be hosting websites with it!?

Kind Regards
Duncan

duncdude -

I suppose that might be a problem if 10.4 used apache 2; on my PB it uses apache 1.3.33.

Maybe OS X server uses a different version?

Strange...

Maybe route taken to get Tiger on machine - can it be upgraded from Panther? Definitely not Server I have saw report about - and when i was SSH'd into a friends machine the other day i am pretty certain it was definitely Apache 2

Kind Regards
Duncan

You must upgrade to Suitcase X1 version 11.0.4 which works flawlessly with Tiger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back