Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tiger login pane options 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacster

Technical User
Jan 28, 2005
US
I was given network admin access, but inadvertently turned off the option for choosing workgroups to administer on my login screen. I remember there was a note that I could press something on startup to get the options to reappear, but cannot find in help. I may not be using the correct wording, but any help appreciated.

thanks,
donna

Not sure if you mean the main login in screen i.e. you system boots to directly to you account. If so, then System Preferences > Accounts then login options

It's not in the System Prefs - I don't have auto login on - name and password - but there was an extra portion below that where the option to administer groups could be changed.

thanks,
donna

Are you looking to view the network users\ adminstrators?

If so are you running Open Directory?

If you are trying to view what i think you are, you will need Open Directory for the network users and you will need to modify the preference file of the item called Login Window via the command line, which will require you now the admin password of the computer you are working on.

Or I totaly missed it and you are searching for something else.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Twist -

I was given network admin status, and am the admin of my particular computer. After I was given admin, there was a login option on the pane to select groups to manage. I turned off the option and forgot to write down what would bring it up again. I thought I would only need to admin my own station, but have needs to help out our editorial department now.

I don't know about Open Directory. How would I find out?

Sorry to seem so obtuse.

donna

Ok it sounds as though you have Open directory running - the option you are talking about will not work if not (if memory serves me correctly).

Take a look at this link and let us know if we are on the same page.

I'm not 100% sure how to get it back, I think you are going to have to use the terminal to modify the preference file.

But before we go there I want to make sure we are on the same page.

Twist

Two more quick thoughts - Are you netbooting - booting from a network image?

In the system preferences, accounts, login options is name and password checked or is it set to users. If to is set to name and password, change it to users.

Twist

Hi, Twist -

When I go to accounts and change the login window as List of users, I don't get any of the options shown on the link you posted above. Just Show Restart, Sleep, and Shutdown; Show Input menu in login window; Use VoiceOver at login window; and Show password hints. Maybe I've missed something.

I changed to List of users and restarted - login window came up as Admin (the original, not mine) and after a few minutes Other... - when I selected Other... it gave me the name and password boxes. No other options.

Donna

Try this from the terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList -array-add

then hit enter, enter the admin password and hit enter again.

Log out and see if the user you are looking for appear.

You could also try and login as those users by entering their username and password when presented with the login pane.

I'm guessing that you were set up by someone who admins the computers, have you asked them how to return the login pane to its previous state?

Twist

one further note - sudo is a powerful command, if you are not comfortable with using the command line interface, see if you can have the system admin restore the login pane.

Twist

Thanks, Twist -

Our admin knows some basic stuff as far as privileges, but not on options. I'll probably just let it go for now - it's not super urgent - just the admin isn't here when we need him so I can get the login when I need it.

Donna

If it helps, the answer is to hold down the option key when you click login. Found in apple discussions.

donna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back