Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tiffs(saved as CMYK) look very dark in PM but are fine in PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffrongirl

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
US
I am in the process of self-publishing a cook book and therefore have a lot of coloured pictures.I resize and convert all my images to tiff and change the mode to CMYK before I save them and they look just fine. After that I File>Place them in PM and 2 things happen 1. They become distorted I can literally see the pixels specially at the edges. and 2. They look very dark and I can hardly see make out whatz in the picture.
Working in PM 7.0 and Photoshop 8.0..

I am new to Pagemaker..please bear with me.
Thanks

Hi, saffrongirl,

PM's display is known for being not good, though you can crank up the screen rez to improve on-screen images. (Cntrl+Shift+F12)

And CMYK images do display darker.

However the proof is in the printing, where they should be fine.

See the FAQs from AdobeForums:

When you print your pages, in PageMaker's print dialogue, click on the Options button and set the "Send Tif/Images" option to Normal and NOT to Optimized. For some reason the default setting is not Normal.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Hi BigJohnD,

Thanks for the post I applied what you advised and it worked. The printout came out looking a lot like what is should be. But whatz happening now is that I am including the tiff images in my pagemaker files and therefore they are huge files but when I convert them to PDF they are very small so maybe the print quality is not that great. Any idea what I can do about that.

Thanks a lot for your help it saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Regards
Saffrongirl

>>But whatz happening now is that I am including the tiff images in my pagemaker files and therefore they are huge files<<

You should LINK not EMBED your image files. When placing the image and the dialog box pops up telling you the size of the graphic, it also asks "Include complete copy in the publciation anyway?" - say NO.

>>but when I convert them to PDF they are very small so maybe the print quality is not that great. <<

You are not choosing a high enough quality (low compression) when making the PDF. If the cookbook is to be commercially printed, choose as your Adobe PDF setting 'Press'. This will preserve the resolution of the 300 dpi images in the PDF. For desktop printing, the 'Print' setting is good enough.

(did I really beat John in the answer?).

Hi, Lyn,

I'm completely ecstatic at the moment! Can you see this thread? - thread1091-1054288 - even if I'm right off thread here! Sorry. I've lost it!

What you say is spot on. You're best!

Whey-hey!

PS Aussie star Harry Kewell was playing too!

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back