Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tiff Images 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcfc

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
GB
Can anybody tell me how i can display a tiff image in a picturebox? I've searched but it doesn't seem very easy, i'm sure there must be a way?

You cannot do this as far as I know. You would need to change it to another format first.
Try Windows Imaging. There are some ocxs out there, but they will cost some. I haven't found a free ocx one yet that will work as proclaimed.

Wang/Kodak Image Edit Control that comes with 9x to 2k for free. (Sorry not on eXPnsive).

Good Luck

"Wang/Kodak Image Edit Control"

I think this is what was meant by "Try Windows Imaging" above.

(just to mention it)

Any ways, what to do with future versions of Windows starting with XP?

The link supplied by ADoozer looks promising, but I haven't tried it yet. I sure hope it works, at least for displaying tifs with-in VB, even though I guess you cannot edit one.

Actually, editing can be done with-in VB if a program that can edit tiffs is on the computer (several free ones out there) and it has ole capabilities.
Just use the OLE container control.

Distribution for commecial purposes may be another problem (concerning licensing), unless the author allows it.

Under XP you can use the snappily titled (and little publicised) Windows Image Acquisition Automation Library, which provides most of the functionality that existed in the Wang/Kodak controls. The following link may be of help:
The above library may also work on W98/Me/NT4/2000 if you have installed the GDI+ libraries. I haven't tested this yet, but for the curious you can get the GDI+ redistribitables here:

This is wonderful news.
Now that there IS an alternative available for XP supplied by MS!
I wasn't aware of this!

It will not work on 9x or NT (haven't tried it on 2k yet) as the wiaaut.dll requires the gdiplus.dll, which is fine because it is located at the second link supplied by strongm, and according to MS, both are fully distributable if used in a application, however, the wiaaut.dll ALSO requires a different version of the OLE32.Dll, which happens to have a missing missing export function, causing an Unresolved parent import.
Too bad, but as I say, great that there is a solution for XP and I guess I will be off to creating a activeX dll using this tool just for XP, and then using the one needed based on the operating system.
Still saves me about $600 for an alternative!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back