Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TIF files in WORD 2000 - don't work! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottograham

Technical User
Mar 30, 2001
US
Our scanner only saves to .tif and .pdf formats. I am trying to insert a Tif file into a WORD doc. I am using INSERT PICTURE FROM FILE

and then I pick it and it tells me "An error has occurred while inserting this file"

Any suggestions?

Thank you

I'm using Word 2000 with Win98 and inserting a TIF worked on my system. Can you elaborate on the OS and MSWord version you're using? This may help identify some anomaly.

from MS article Q224744

Cause
You may receive this error message if the uncompressed file size of the TIFF graphic exceeds 16 megabytes (MB). Note that most graphic files are stored in a compressed format. This means that although a file may appear to be smaller than 16 MB, it may exceed the 16 MB limitation when it is being uncompressed during the import process, and so the process fails.

This is basically a filter limitation, although a number of other factors, such as the amount of available hard disk space or random access memory (RAM), may also affect whether or not you can import the image successfully.

Workaround
Open the image in a graphics-editing program, such as Microsoft PhotoDraw, and either save the picture in a different graphics format, such as Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) or Portable Network Graphics (PNG), or resize the picture to a smaller size and resave it.

Thanks to both repliers. I tried to open it in Adobe Photo Deluxe, but it wouldn't open either (something about a color line..).

I took it and got it rescanned at a printer's office. I'll see if that works (it was saved both as a TIF and a JPEG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back