Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thunderbird / AT&T loss of login credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

philrock

Programmer
Jan 29, 2004
US
I'm using:

Windows 7 Pro Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
Thunderbird version 2.0.0.24 (20100228)
AT&T / Yahoo mail servers

Thunderbird and/or AT&T keep losing tracking of my login credentials for outgoing mail (but not incoming mail), which prevents me from sending mail from Tbird, and/or logging in to web mail. I can always get back up and running by calling in to AT&T support. After that, I'll be good for a week or two, then, without my changing anything, outgoing mail stops working again, and I can't can't log in to web mail again. This has been going on for about 6 months.

My Tbird profile folder is pretty large - about 17 GB, because of lots of stored mail. Could this be causing Tbird to choke?

Also, TaskManager says Tbird is using 30 MB of memory - I have no idea if this is an alarming number, but it is second only to FireFox in memory usage

Any ideas on how to solve this would be appreciated.

When you call AT&T what do they do to fix your situation temporarily?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

If you can't get into webmail when this happens, that would imply that the issue has nothing to do with Thunderbird. So I agree with DrB0b, what does AT&T say the problems is and how are they temporarily fixing it?

Thunderbird version 2.0.0.24
Are you sure? You should be on version 45.8 or 52.0 which I just upgraded to NOW. Update and see what version you get to!!!

Actually, if the OP can get INCOMING mail then there is no password problem and FOR SURE webmail would work with the same password. Though it can't hurt to check. The password should be the same for inbound and outbound mail, unless for some crazy reason you have a different SMTP server/account vs. incoming. So, it sounds like a "Thunderbird remembering password" issue.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back