Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thumbnail

Status
Not open for further replies.

hack12

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2003
US
Hi, can someone please help. Running windows xp professional, latest service pack, Pentium D - Dual Processor with 1 Gig of Ram and I have about 50 - 70 photo's in a folder on my desktop and it takes forever for the thumbnails to appear. Is there any way to make this faster. I want to see the thumbnail as it is easier to navigate however it takes too long for all the pictures to load up in the folder. Is there any way to make those thumbnail images a bit smaller so they load up faster. Also by default it is using the nero photo viewer. Is there another photo viewer in XP itself. Thanks

You can view thumbnails in the normal windows explorer/my computer folder view, and switch the view to thumbnails. Thumbnails aren't stored. They are created and rendered as the pictures are cached by the OS. So you can't "make them smaller", if the pictures are large in size (disk capacity), then the thumbnail rendering will take longer.

As for viewers, use Microsoft Office Picture Viewer. Not 100% sure whether it comes actually as part of Windows XP, or whether you need MS Office, but its the ebst tool for low technical, mass photo editing and viewing.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

I just use Internet Explorer to view pictures. Just hit the back button to navigate when you've opened up more than 1 picture.

I cant stand the Microsoft Office Picture Viewer. It takes forever to open up, then it opens 12 different windows - one for each picture.

I use the Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer that takes about a nanosecond to open up and only opens the one window.

MOPV only opens a window per image opened. You just normally open one image, then use its built in navigation on the 2003/xp version. It supports slideshow, scrolling, multiview, thumbnail, album view, multiple selections, group editing. You download your digicam pics, in 1600x1200, open on picture, switch to folder/album view. Hit Ctrl+A, edit, resize, enter your new size, say 800x600, click ok, you see the results, you hit apply and all the pictures are resized. Like I said. Great for simple mass editing and viewing.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

10fk.png

That right there is the problem with the Office Picture Viewer. It opens more than 1 if you highlight more than one picture to open. I cant stand that. If I want to view 6 pictures in a folder of 75, I dont want to have to hit "Next Picture" 69 times in order to see the 6 I want.
It's all personal preference I guess.

Like I said before, I use the simple Photo and Fax viewer built into windows that doesnt have any bells and whistles. It's strictly for viewing, if you want to edit, find a program you like.

I might suggest "Picassa" to edit the pics. Go Google it, it's owned by Google and is a great little program. It's got a bit of color fixing, brightness and whatnot. It'll resize in a heartbeat, and with 3 clicks of the mouse it'll build a webpage for you that you can burn to a CD (burn the entire folder it made) and give it to a relative who knows nothing about computers. It's as easy as clicking a pic, seeing a big one, then clicking back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back