Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Through the window OR out of the window 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixiematic

Technical User
Oct 14, 2008
SI
Hello, friends

my wife is studying English for her third university lifetime and she came across a problem. Her teacher says that there are only two cases , firstly "to look out of the window" when somebody looks from inside towards outside and secondly, "through the window", when somebody looks from outside into the inside.
In a book my wife is reading there are four different cases:
1. He looked through the window
2. He looked out of the window
3. He looked out through the window
4. He looked out from the window

The person was always sitting inside.

Is there a distinct difference among these four sentences?
Regards
Dixiematic

I've always been taught that #3 and 4 are the same as #2 but are too wordy and should be avoided.

Also, since technically her teacher is correct about #1 and 2, if the people are inside the someone tells someone else to look through the window, it's understood to look out through the window and not to "go outside and look through the window."

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Teacher is wrong for trying to dogmatically apply rules to matters of style.

"The thief peered in to the house through the window"

"The manikins in the window beckoned her into the store"

"She came in through the bathroom window"

"There is a smudge on the window that prevents me from seeing clearly through the window"

==> Is there a distinct difference among these four sentences?
Yes, I believe there is. Let's start with number four.
I find number four to be wrong, unless the person is actually inside the window. A person does not look from a window, a person looks through a window.

With respect to number two, there is nothing technically wrong, but I find the use of the word "of" to be un-necessary, and should be removed. "He looked out the window."

Number three is similar. Either the "through" is un-necessary or the "out" is un-necessary. You only need one of those terms, and the next paragraph explains the difference.

That leaves us with number one and the reduced form of number two. There is a distinct difference between "He looked through the window" and "He looked out the window". The difference is that in the first sentence, you do not know which direction he is looking. He may be looking in the window or out the window. In either case, he's looking through the window.

For my taste, there are three cases:
He looked through the window. (direction unknown)
He looked in the window. (direction known)
He looked out the window. (direction known)

All that being said, if you're in a class and you want a good grade, I suggest that you go with what the teacher wants.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Hello 2ffat, mintjulep and CajunCenturion,

thank you very much for your precise answers, gentlemen. Special thanks to CC-I really enjoy your explanation!
It is not a matter of getting a good grade at school-when you are over 60 and retired it really does not count. Neither is it the point to show to the teacher that she is wrong- the pupils in my wife's class learn for hobby. It is simply a philosophy of a vanishing generation: if you do it, make it then good and correctly.
regards
Dixiematic

Cajun,
He looked out the window. (direction known)
wouldn't that imply that someone is inside somewhere looking out...

and
He looked in the window. (direction known)
and this would imply someone is outside looking in... or am I wrong on this assumption...

I find number four to be wrong, unless the person is actually inside the window.
well, that is no problem, once you realize that windows are not just the glass pane, but the frame and wall outlet/hole...

Merriam-Webster Dictionary said:
window - 1 a : an opening especially in the wall of a building for admission of light and air that is usually closed by casements or sashes containing transparent material (as glass) and capable of being opened and shut

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

This thread reminds me of the old Glasgow parting shot:

"If I don't see you through the week I'll see you through the window"

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

BigBadBen - I agree with you on all points.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

I find number four to be wrong, unless the person is actually inside the window. A person does not look from a window, a person looks through a window.

Every time I hear,"He (she) looked out from the window," I think of some busy-body, with their window wide open, with their arms on the window sill or even sitting on the window sill, intently looking out to gather some juicy gossip. Yes, I have a vivid imagination.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

2ffat,

trust me, here in Europe, older ladies tend to do just that...

strangely, in the US (south east, south, and south west), I never noticed that, probably due to different window designs (no noticeable window sill on trailers)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Ben said:
...in the US (south east, south, and south west), I never noticed that, probably due to different window designs (no noticeable window sill on trailers)...
As I recall, there are at least a few dozen homes in the south east, south, and south west U.S. that are not trailers. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

He look in the window" direction not known. You could be inside or outside looking at your reflection.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back