Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

throttles / badwdth utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdl508

Technical User
Apr 30, 2001
US
Hello, I have a 1601r going to a 2621xm through a full t1 line. the line is running multiple apps, files and sap / nt domain data. Users logon over this t1 to a novell and nt box. anyway i am noticing a large number of throttles on the 1601 at the branch site. I have reset it and on average i am getting 100 - 250 throttles per week!!! way to many. i have implimented fast switching on the router and I am wondering if i could be using too much of the t1??? is there any tool taht can monitor this? At this point i am occasionally seeing apps drop off and need to correct this asap! i have also tried some buffer tuning via cisco's web site. any help is greatly appreciated
thanks
jdl

if you just want something to monitor the utilization of the routers interfaces you could try using MRTG. it is a free monitoring utility that will run on either windows or any unix/linux platform.....

Erik Rudnick, CCIE No. 9545
mailto:erik@kuriosity.com

Tool for monitoring bandwidth I use is Multi Router Traffic Grapher (MRTG). Following is the link:
As for utilization of the T-1 - Do you have link compression turned on? If not consider turning it on. Be aware you will need to do this to both sides of the link and there will be a service interuption. I would recomend a technican at each site making changes at the same time. I've seen up to 30% utilization reduction by turning compression on.

What is the cpu utilization of the 1601? (check with show process cpu) If the cpu utilization is high in conjuction with a large number of throttles, normally means you have an over utilized router. If this is the case you may want to upgrade to a more robust router.

routerjunky, Can you give a sample of interface and any global config entries for link compression? I would like to try it.

There are no global configs.

Note: Check your cpu load (sh process cpu). Cisco recommends that you turn compression off if this load exceeds 65%.

Router A

Interface serial X
compress stac
_______

Router B

Interface serial X
compress stac

Well I checked cpu proc utilization and that seemed fine. after running the mrtg perl tool i have found that consistently in the mornings (logon) the s1 int has an output of 99.1 %. so i'm wondering if all throttles are happeniong then. I have tuned the buffers per cisco but that didnt seem to help since i just cleared the counters 2 days ago and i allready have 78 throttles! to routerjunky i also didnt know how to turn on compression and couldnt seem to find it on ciscos site. any hints would be greatly appreciated and by the way that MRTG tool is GREAt!!! i leave it on now 24x7
thanks
jdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back