Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Three Offices connected by VPN Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I am going to setup 3 offices together using vpn devices. My question is, when a client in a branch office accesses the internet with the new device, does it first go through the vpn and use the main offices internet connection? or will it use it's own internet connection?

If it used the main offices connection, I would see it as being very slow...

Thanks

your question is loaded....

A machine accesses the internet from it's network connection and uses that ISP...

you launch your VPN service to gain access to a different domain...

So, if I am reading your statement correctly, the machines will use the main line to launch the VPN and the access to the other offices will then be available.

What speeds are the offices set up with? All the same? Have you considered Citrix? If you're worried about speed...

hope this helps

Tom

Well I want a dedicated VPN connection from the branch offices to the main office. My concern is that the branch offices will connect through the vpn to access the internet though the main offices internet connection, instead of using it's own internet connection to download.

When connected full time via a vpn to each office, (with a FVS338 at each office), will each client computer at the branch office use the offices own internet connection to access the internet? or will it go through the vpn tunnel, then out to the internet?

Thanks

that depends on how you setup the tunnels and what you want to "control". if you want everyone accessing the internet from one place because you have a nice phat firewall or proxy and want to control internet content or what not then you route all traffic through the tunnel. if you have slower links and dont care what the heck they do on the internet or what they may do to your workstations, then you configure the tunnels so only the remote LANs subnets traffic passes through the tunnel and all other traffic goes out the internet.

RoadKi11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back