Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Three brand new 4500s anf the third 4524T will not join the stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashtest1000

Vendor
Jul 6, 2003
NZ
2 X 4548T Version 5.4.0.008
1 X 4524T Version 5.4.0.008

The 4524 will not join tne stack and the Base light flashs green on the 4524. We have all the cables conected and have looped the return cable around. All the switchs onn the units are set correctly one 4548 to base.

Has anyone got any idea's on why this would be before I try to replace the 4524?

[cheers]

Is it licensed for stack?
You can order them including this licenses (burned in) or add a license later on.
Without the license it will not let you run a stack.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

4500s don't need stack licenses, just the 2500s.

Make sure the diagnostics code (firmware) is the same on all units. You can get that by typing show sys-info. If the diag code has a mismatch between units, it wont stack. If the 4524 was used elsewhere, try running a factory reset on it.

Ok learned something again :)

BAZINGA!

No other Nortel data switch ever required stack licenses except the 2500 series. I really don't know why they did that. When i've had to connect multiple 2500s without stacking licenses, I just use the rear ports in a MLT trunk.

The only other licensing needed is advanced routing if you want ECMP, OSPF or SMLT. Avaya hasn't made the licensing structure confusing like the IPO, yet. :)

Thanks guys

We made the 4524 a Base and there was lots of flashing lights and the system made a stack.

We then made the 4548 a Base and they all worked together.

Looks like the 24 had a later Diag version than the 48s so the 48s upgrade when the 24 was base.

Still cannot figure out what Diag softwware is and no one can has been able to explain it. But all happy now.

[cheers]

If i understand correctly the diag software is the bootloader and the .img file is the software on top of it.

You should always do the diag first and then the image.

BAZINGA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back