Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ThreadPool problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

adwarak

Programmer
Apr 29, 2003
US
Hi,

I've written a performance collector application in VB .net which collects performance data from 32 servers.
Because of network latency the application had to be multithreaded to be faster.
I am using a threadpool to achive this.
The problem I am facing is, I do not get the data from all the servers. I lose some of the servers from time to time.
I am running this application on a 2 processor server which has only the .net framework installed.
By the way, the application is a windows service.
If I run the application on my workstation it runs perfectly with losing any servers. My workstation has got the framework and also the VS .net installed and Single Processor machine.
I believe I need to increase to the threadpool size to solve this issue.
A threadpool can have upto 25 worker threads, but this can be changed.
Could you please let me know how do I increase the threadpool size. The .net handbook suggests that I need to increase the CORSETMAXTHREAD variable in the MSCOREE.H file. The server on which I am running the application does not have this file.

Please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

That file is a C++ header file, and VB.NET will not be able to make use of it.

I would look at the result of the GetMaxThreads method of the ThreadPool object and see what it says. I suspect that you'll get different values depending on what machine you're running on.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back