Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Threading question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrHeadgear

Programmer
Oct 12, 2001
DK
I'd like to be able to call a dll from another dll, start it doing a long tedious task, proceed to my next line of code, then come back and check if it was finished when I've done the other stuff I wanted to do. I really don't want to have to wait around for the second dll to finish its task before moving on.

So is it possible to start a VB written dll in a seperate thread from the dll calling it, or do I need to learn a C based language? Do I actually need a seperate thread, or is there some other way of going about this?

Cheers "Lets integrate!"
If it doesn't work it's not my fault.

Well, I've never done any thread programming, so I don't really know for sure, but I don't think VB does threads. But I know that in VB you can build ActiveX .EXE controls which, I believe, run in their own process space. Theoretically, you could write a control that, basically, just has code to do your long, tedious task and then some flag or something to tell you if it's done. I don't know how well this would work for your problem, but it might be something to think about.

Multi-threading in VB is a Royal pain to implement using out-of-process components. A simpler solution would be to multi-process your application, so that you have separate executables running doing their own thing, while using a shared memory interface to communicate between each other.

Let me know if this is a viable option! Thanks!
LeGo PiEcE

"The Computer Spock! Destroy it!" - Captain James T. Kirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back