Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Threading or multiple instances 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

florindaniel

Programmer
Dec 4, 2009
RO
Hello,

I need to develop a solution for handling random events: random complexity (size of data to be processed) and
random time.

I prospect two solutions:
- A monitoring system wich will initate different threads for each event
or
- A monitoring system wich will launch different instances of exe-s dedicated to that data processing.

Wich one of this would you reccomend? Or maybe another one?

Thank you,
Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

Sounds similar to what I once needed:
A project automation solution: files of varying number, size and type would come in and would need to be automatically processed in the background.
I solved this with hangfire: It has a job queue and recurring jobs.
So you could use a folder monitor(?) solution, that will put whatever lands there in the hangfire job queue and let hf handle the rest.

MakeItSo

"Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family." (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Wow, great solution. I will Make It So :)))

Folder monitoring is in the background indeed.
I can't afford, however, 5000 USD but I hope the free version works fine.

Thank you,
Daniel

The free version should absolutely suffice.
The software is relatively easy to use, you find a number of examples - and if all fails, you can post here. :)

"Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family." (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

I would probably opt for spawing a thread.. either a background worker or a new thread.. My feeling is a background worker may be better than going for the raw thread class as synchronizing the results of its work is much easier, especially if there is a chance that you may have more than one running at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back