Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thread209-715969 Hi All, As p

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkatesh k

Programmer
Oct 3, 2019
IN
thread209-715969

Hi All,

As part of one of my requirement i need to handle the COBOL such that the input file may be of any length.

i.e. Dynamically the COBOL program should take the input file length.

Please suggest or provide sample code for the same.

(I have seen similar post which is closed but ended with solution for obtaining input file length dynamically. But open question to get output file length. My suggestion is just previous step allocate the output file & in cobol program use that file as in-out mode, in which case you can get the DCB parameter for output file too).

It has been close to twenty tears since I coded COBOL and that was in an IBM main frame shop. We had VBS files:

(VBS is Varible Blocked Spanned, which is something else than a simple record) are prefixed by four bytes (the Record Descriptor Word (RDW)) the first two of which indicate the length of the record. So they contain control information and data. There are no record delimiters (because the length is known instead).

Just throwing that out there.

Generally any program can read a file of any length! File length is a function of the number of records in the file. As you mention DCB it isn't a file but a dataset. But perhaps you mean varying length RECORDS? You should look up the manual and refer to the RECORD clause.

Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back