Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thousand Separator prints as . 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

melburstein

Technical User
Aug 29, 2000
US
Numbers on my report are appearing as 24.000.00, instead of 24,000.00. I have right clicked the number and Formated it correctly, I thought, but I still get a decimal where I want a comma.

Right click on your field->format field->number->customize->symbol and enter a comma instead of a period.

-LB

I have done that. The number appears with a comma in the Sample window, but not on my actual report when I preview or print it. Oddly, it is only the detail lines that give me this problem. On the total lines, the comma appears.

I would go back to the custom tab->symbol, where you are seeing a comma and check the x+2 formula area next to it to see if there is a conditional criterion which is overriding the comma and setting it to "." When I created a conditional formula there, the sample still showed a comma, although the field in the report displayed either a comma or a period, depending upon my criterion.

-LB

Actually, I had already checked that. There is not formula attached.

I just found my error. You're not going to believe this. It was the height of the field. I comma was printing, but because the bottom of it was being chopped off, it appeared to be a decimal. Thank you for your help. If I had not tried the suggestions you offered, I would not have gotten the the actual problem.

Is your detail field a database field, not a formula? The only other thing I can think of is if the detail field is a formula which has been formatted like this:

totext({table.number},2,".")

This would override the custom number formatting.

Otherwise I'm stymied.

-LB

It is a formula, a running total. But I see noting in it like the ".". There are three columns with dollars in it. I did something to one of the columns that fixed it problem. But I don't know what. My earlier thought that it was the height of the field proved to be incorrect.

If you share the contents of the formula, maybe we can figure it out--it might also help others who might have a similar problem.

-LB

Well, I went back to the idea that I said did not work. The one where I increased the size (height) of the field. When I did this to all of my dollar columns, the comma separator became visible. My problem is solved. Thank you for the help you offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back