Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thoughts on the Cisco Catalyst Express 500 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

efiftythree

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2006
US
Has anyone had any experience with this 'new' line of switches? I'm liking the price but I dont want to get caught up in one of those "you get what you pay for" type situations.

To be more specific I am looking at the Cisco Catalyst Express 500-24LC model. The other option is to go with the Cisco Catalyst 2960-24TC or higher. Im open to suggestions, thoughts, etc.

Thanks ahead of time :)

Have a look on the Cisco Systems Network Professionals Connection Forum (on CCO). There are quite a few people unhappy with them and I think they are 'you get what you pay for'.

They have no CLI or Console port (recovery procedures are hold buttons and power off/on etc to wipe config). Management is via the built-in WEB browser or Cisco Network Assistance (plus SNMP), no telnet......

I haven't seen them yet although I am sure I will due to the price. I think they are purely aimed at the VERY small networks where you have one or two switches only.

HTH

Andy

Thanks for the input Andy. I'm convinced myself that they wouldnt be worth it in my environment. I dont know that I could live without the CLI and have yet to be impressed by any Cisco GUI based configuration tools.

After some research I believe that I am going to go with 2960's (which came out at the same time as the 500's) for closet/zone/departmental switching and 3750's for core switching. I would like to make the jump to 4500's for the core but I dont think that I can justify the cost at this point in time. Maybe in a year or two.

From the Cisco Technology Update:
The Catalyst Express 500's are directed at the 'magazine purchaser' ie mailorder...

If you want a 'proper' Cisco envionment go for what you know... 2940 - 6500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back