Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thoughts on New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISdad

Technical User
May 5, 2004
I'm getting ready to take the plunge and build myself a new pc. Here are the components I'm considering. Any feedback, suggestions, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Intel P4 3.0 Ghz CPU Socket 775 2mb Cache
Gigabyte GA-8I945P-G Socket 775 Motherboard (4 SATA II ports)
PQI Turbo 2Gb Dual Channel DDR2 667 Ram
ATI Radeon X800GT 256mb 256bit Dual DVI PCI Express x16 Video Card
Hitachi Deskstar 160gb SATA II Hard Drive for OS and Programs
(2) Hitachi Deskstar 250gb SATA II Hard Drives for Data
Rosewill TU-155 Black Case w/ 400w Power Supply
Dual Aopen F90GS 19" 12ms LCD monitors

Make sure the ram is compatible with the board. I dont mean type the board accepts either lol. Example my board uses pc3200 however not all pc3200 is compatible with it only certain brands and models are. So before buying it i reccomend looking up on there manufacturers site either motherboard or ram and finding out if its compatible. If not dont get it for incompatible ram can be a very bad day. As for power supply id reccomend getting 450 or bigger for future upgrades.

MISdad
Just a couple of things spring to mind.

One is you may want to consider some sort of raid setup for performance

The second is most definately the power supply: the back bone of any reliable and stable machine.

Invest in a quality Enermax, Antec, Tagan, Jeantech, Fortron, Channel Well, Zalman, Thermaltake etc etc power supply 450watt plus.

Also note* latest power supply version with 24pin?? connector may be required.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

MISdad

This board has the Intel 945P chipset(Decent one btw) and I would just make sure that you either download the manual or at least get one for the SATA & RAID setup. Some Mfg's do a poor job at documenting these additional functions.

I echo the "Quality" PS suggestion, as in most instances the PS included is more for price point. I also have shelves full of these OEM PS's, Never use them.

the link has some basic good PS information and a relationship that while I knew I never put this together.

How to Choose a PS

BTW: This board does use the Std 20 pin Power plug.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I would reccomend a Modular PS. This helps eliminate clutter in the box and increases air flow to keep things cool. I also agree with making sure the memory is compatible with your MB. More often than not, off brand memory may be cheap, but it also may not work with your MB. And I would also take advantage of your SATA ports and create a raid for two of your HD's, makes read and write time a lot quicker...

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back