Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thoughts on Micros 3700 5.7? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

_choof

MIS
Sep 18, 2019
US
We're currently putting our customers on 5.5 MR 3, as we were advised by a few Micros vendors (as well as this forum) to not go with 5.6. I saw a site today that's currently running 5.7 MR5, and I know that 5.7 came out some time last summer, so I'm curious if Oracle's been actually putting in work on this version and making it worth using.

5.6 is not a good version.
5.7 is working fine, but you should install 5.7 MR6 as there are a few bugs in MR3.

I have been running 5.6 for 3 years on multiple sites. Im currently upgrading several 5.4 MR1 sites to Res 5.6 im happy with this version.

Make sure you update table statistics when/if you go to 5.7. We had a latency/delay issue in rvc with tables set up... Running the table stats procedure in db manager fixed the issue. Everything seems to be running great since.

Hi jherrick - are you talking about the running the below in dbisql as the fix for the delay issues?

begin
declare @TabName varchar(100);
declare @CallStmt Varchar(130);
declare CursTable cursor for
select distinct table_name
from sys.systab
where creator in
(select user_id
from sys.sysuser
where upper(user_name) = 'MICROS')
and table_type = 1
order by table_name;
Open CursTable;
Fetch CursTable into @TabName;
while (@@sqlstatus != 2) LOOP
SET @CallStmt = 'Create Statistics micros.' + @TabName;
Execute(@CallStmt);
Fetch Next CursTable into @TabName;
END LOOP;
Close CursTable;
end;

@m3700 Mate, can you share the latest patch, please?

I've been trying to download it directly from Oracle, but there's no way I can start the download.

I'm running MR3 but I need some fixes, including the 2021 bug.

Thanks a lot and sorry for bothering!

After upgrading from 5.7 to 5.76 Cal gets stuck on mdshosts after fresh install on both ws6 and ws5a. tried everything to no avail. nodes are correct, they show green on control panel and the MDSHOSTS file but can't load ops on workstations. Ops on server works fine. Cal downloads files fine from the server. Any thoughts?

Have you checked the date stamp on the MDSHosts in Micros\Common\Etc?

@GoRoc Did you turn on the Discovery Mode in DB Manager? If it's a fresh install you need to set that for the first time. Otherwise just go in Micros Control panel and click on the Reload DB button. Remember to use Reload, not Reboot All.

Yes, I did but it never gets to the trust passphrase. Stuck on HDShosts on workstations. maybe its a security or a permissions issue but it was all ok before installing 7.5 MR6. Wonder if anyone has a higher update that i can install on a lab server. The ws5s that are on now work but if i try to replace one with the same ip and name it gets stuck. Cal Loads all the files fine even updates the MDShosts file. Thanks in advance.

You don't need to set the passphrase as long as you activate the Discovery Mode.

You can alternatively go to POSCFG / DEVICES / NETWORK NODE and select the device you're trying to configure and check the "Override Authentication Mode" for that specific device.

I'd recommend you to click on "Update Host File" and then Reload DB on Control Panel.

Ws5a seems to cal now ws6 is still giving me trouble, still stuck at the cal screen. MDSHOSTS file updates on ws6 common/etc folder but date of file is off all settings in the file are correct.

Reinstalled Version 5.7 everything works as intended. Went up to ver 5.7.5 and worked fine. When upgraded to 5.7.6 Everything installed ok but ws6 stuck on MDShosts even the Ops on the server say connecting to the database and stuck. Must be something with version 7.6 that is giving me the issue.
All on Windows 10 pro.

If anyone needs 5.7.6.x software please email me mrouen@romulusinc.com and I can share my Google Drive connection to the software.

For the 5.7.6 workstation stuck at Waiting for MDSHost:

Installing the Patch
This patch can only be installed on RES 5.7.x

Instructions:

1. Copy the patch to a temp folder on your RES Server.

2. Close ALL running MICROS applications, except MICROS Control Panel.

3. In the MICROS Control Panel, set the Restaurant to OFF.

4. Close the MICROS Control Panel

5. Double-click the patch file in the temp folder to execute the patch.

6. The RES Server will reboot, and then CAL will update and reboot all clients.

7. [highlight #FCE94F]Once the workstations are at “Wait for MDSHosts File”, put the server in Discovery Mode:[/highlight]

a. A privileged user can log in to Database Manager| Encryption Keys |Activate Discovery Mode

b. Command line option: dm.exe –UID x –PWD y –DS z
x = userid, y = password, z = duration of Discovery Mode, in minutes, up to 60, 0 means turn it off

[highlight #FCE94F]8. All clients will perform a one-time registration with the server, and then proceed past “Wait for MDSHosts File”.

9. Once all clients have registered with the server, an additional reboot of all clients is needed to ensure that each client has up-to-date trust information for all other clients (this is needed for printing and other peer-to-peer communication).
[/highlight]

small world, greetings from BMP!

thanks all, we've put one or two customers on 5.7 and there haven't been really any issues. now comes the rush to get everyone up to speed for that stupid 2021 bug.

Had issues with installing Ws6 on micros 5.7.5 and 5.7.6 It would get stuck on the MDShosts boot screen.
Solved. To Reinstall or rename a ws6 you have to delete the contents of the folder micros/common/cert/ then reboot after a rename or reinstall of the Ws6 and Activate Discovery Mode in DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back