Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thoughts/Experience on Dell All-In-One Optiplex Machines 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
Have any of you guys dealt with any Dell all-in-one (AIO) desktops?

I first thought they would work really well where we only need a desktop with a single monitor. But then I thought for situations where they need dual monitors, at least some of these machines have HDMI and Display Port connections, so if that is going out, and not in, we should be able to set it up in a dual monitor environment as well. One thing I think people would be avidly excited about would be reclaiming desktop space, especially since many of these computers are large desktops running Windows XP.

What I want to know really is:
[ol 1]
[li]If any of you have done anything with them, have they seemed more/less/same problematic or stable?[/li]
[li]When you have to work on them: replacing a hard drive, RAM, Optical drive, etc. How much difficulty compared to a standard desktop? It looks from my glancing at the user manual for one that it's about like working with a laptop where everything is easily accessible.[/li]
[li]Has anyone tried to use one in a dual monitor setup where the built-in monitor would be one monitor, and the other via a secondary HDMI or Display port connected monitor?[/li]
[/ol]

Thanks for any thoughts.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Ok, I have worked on several models from several manufacturers of all in one units. Some will have desktop memory, hdd, and others will have laptop. Some will have a laptop memory, and desktop hdd, although I would think any new ones coming to market would have laptop devices. AS long as you have the directions to remove the back cover, you have access to everything, pretty easy to work on, not as easy as a desktop, but better than a laptop. Everyone I have seen the DP, or HDMI ports are always out, and can have a second and sometimes third monitor depending on the video chipset used, even the Intel video will support dual monitors. Just like setting up a laptop or a desktop in multi-monitor setup. Windows 7 and up will detect automatically that there is a second display, and ask you how you want to configure it, as a mirror, extended desktop, and so on. I will say the larger ones like 27" aio trying to replace the touch bezel by yourself is a royal pain. The new touch bezel will come in with nothing, so everything has to be transferred over, like all the buttons,LCD,webcam,cables,frame,speakers, and then the system. Takes about 2 hours the first time, and you will pray there is no second. I have replaced just about everything there is on some models of HP,Dell,Lenovo,and Sony.

Thanks for thoughts!

Yeah, the one con I can think of is what do we do when any part of the LCD/monitor goes bad? I've replaced screens for a couple of different laptops, and it's not something I want to do for fun. I imagine the AIO is similar to the laptop screens.

Where I now work, many of the computers are in chemistry labs. And in those labs, counter space is often very precious. So if we can move to all-in-one units, that might help a ton. Just have to compare the costs and see if the costs are too high, besides the caveat of what do we do if the monitor goes out.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

FWIW - I have a few clients who liked the concept of all-in-ones and they did purchase/install several dozen (although they were MSI brand). Well, after a few years most of them had one problem or another that were not an easy repair/replacement. So they are now moving ahead towards SFF units with separate LCD monitors.

Thanks for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back