Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This situation is with a new (facto

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmwar

Instructor
Oct 13, 2002
US
This situation is with a new (factory serviced) HP Pavilion 522n with modem connectivity problems. It has a LT Data Fax Modem with Ver 8.20 driver. Many attempts to connect to AOL, EarthLink, and MCI via Hyper Terminal. Will not connect, or if it does connect to the AOL server, it is only 8K -- 12K connection. If it connects, sometimes it disconnects. I tried an external Compaq USB modem with latest driver. No better. I moved the modem to PCI slot 1 from 3, no change. After a destructive system recovery to completely reinstall Windows XP back to factory specs, still would not make a connection with the new AOL ver 8.0 was installed. AOL had me add a modem string ATX0,,,,, (five commas) that did occasionly connect to AOL. Sometimes it will connect after many attempts. I would appreciate any suggestions. Note: A laptop connected to the phone line made connections with 3 different user names. The telephone company checked the phone line. What could cause this problem? A CompUSA tech said that 90% of the time a nondistructive or destructive system reovery would solve this type of problem. The nondistructive recovery resulted in the system hanging up. The destructive recovery went very fast compared to the nondestructive recovery. AOL ver 8.0 reloaded. Will not connect. What else could cause this???

Windows XP has a bug in their USB modem support. There is a patch to correct it, so I would consider the USB modem test to be null.

It sounds as if your modem is not working properly (generating a lot of errors). It may be a modem driver problem, but could just as easily be hardware. If you can find an external that is not USB, it would be interesting to hear what your results are with that.

I would also find the latest and greatest drivers for your modem and install them before I did much more testing. WinModems are the bane of my existence because they cause so many "unique" errors. We didn't have these problems when the modems were firmware based. Of course they cost 5 times as much as they do now.

You may also want to set your link speed much slower and see if that helps. You need to put the following in your init string, or you can issue the commands manually using the open terminal window before connect option.

AT -V90=0

This should disable the V.90 negotiation and force you down to V.34 (33.6K) rates immediately. In theory, I would say that this is a phone line issue if this fixes your problem.

I couldn't see a way to fix the link speed in the Lucent manual that I have, but if +MS is a valid AT command for you, then you should be able to fix your link speed at a low rate and determine if you can connect successfully at lower rates.

The X0 that AOL had you issue just tells the modem to ignore call progress tones (dial tone, busy tone).

The fact that you could insert a bunch of commas and get a connect indicates that you need to sync at a speed far below V.90 rates. The longer that the modems are negotiating, the more the connect speed drops.

pansophic

Downloaded Ver. 8.28 driver to replace ver. 8.28 and it would not load during a number of attempts. It progressed about 60% and stopped. Slowing the link speed allowed 7 - 8 connections to AOL ver 8.0 at about 9K to 15K. Frequest disconnects as well as slow connection speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back