Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This may be simple, but I don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpg121

Programmer
Mar 14, 2001
US
I have Windows 2000 Server running on a P266, 128mb RAM, and two hard disks (1.5GB NTFS, for boot and system, 20GB FAT32 for account info, storage, and shared storage). Believe it or not, it works nice and fast. Now my problem is that after about 5-8 hours, my server won't respond across the network. All the clients say that it cannot connect to my server (my domain controller). I have looked at all the power settings, and I am confused. Anyone run into this problem? Anyone help?

I belive the problem could be that if you are using TCP/IP across your network as opposed to IPX/NetBeui... etc, it requires a chunk of memory per socket opened. Because you have such a small ammount of RAM, the sockets cannot be opened after the server has processed other sockets, therefore the clients have no connectivity on your server. I can suggest if you try with NetBeui, and that works for file sharing, then that's the problem, but if not it's something more complex. If you find that that is problem, pop some more RAM in ;-) I must congratulate you on your install on a 266, well done :)

Ryan Barclay
President
RBFTP Networks.
----------------------------------
ryan@rbftp.org

Are clients printing to this server? Your print queue might be filling up the system drive.

Mitch Huey
Systems Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back