Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This is a strange one, windows server and audio issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2015
US
[pre]Before I begin to tell you all this crazy issue, I want to let
everyone know that this is most likely DIRECTLY related to something
that is installed on a windows 7 install that is NOT present natively
in the server install. I hope that helps in the responses.
[/pre]

We recently launched a radio station called ********. We moved from our hosted platform to a dedicated cloud server so we could consolidate resources. We set the server up to run a software called Simian by BSI. It is a professional playback software for radio stations. The server has NO BUILT IN sound card so the need to run a virtual one between Simian and the EDcast encoder that would play to our shout cast server was necessary.

Our audio pipeline looks like this Simian Playout + Edcast encoder = Shout cast stream

We installed a copy of a free virtual cable and simian was able to install the program now that it detected a sound card. Once simian launched we were able to pipe the demo wav files from Simian (by assigning the decks to the vb cable) to the edcast encoder.

We then attempted to load our mp3 library into simian and this is where the problem started. The photo below shows what happens when we try to play an MP3 in simian using the cables. Wav files work fine but MP3S all fail to play.

The interesting thing is we setup a test machine to see if this was an issue with Simian (which natively plays mp3s) , the cables, or windows.

Our test machine got an install of simian, the cables, and the same mp3s, the only difference was the test machine ran windows 7.

Our main server runs Windows server 2008 R2 Datacenter.

After we installed everything to the test machine MP3S DID play through the cables on the windows 7 machine.

I read somewhere about mp3 codecs being installed but not activated in server platforms, I am open to suggestions!

Thanks again everyone

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=eab7d946-297d-420e-b307-e27c6d7b1777&file=2015-10-19_1-28-05.png
Remember when these forums used to have techs all around them

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back