Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This is a big problem - hope someon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2001
US
This is a big problem - hope someone has some ideas. I have a dec alpha 2100 that is running 4.0d. A few weeks ago I applied patch kit 8 to the server. The patches had to be backed out because afterward the server was unable to see its disk array. One of the patches renamed the disks and that had to be corrected. After that the server seemed to be working correctly until the following weekend when the backup went to run. The system is backed up by mounting it to another alpha and using its tape drive. When this script ran it got errors because the mountd daemon was not running on the 2100. I have not been able to start this daemon. Compaq Technical Support found the following:

1. The /usr/sbin/mountd checksum was wrong. Apparently the patches changed this file but when they were backed out it didn't change the file back. I copied this file from the origonal OS CD and now that file is correct but the mountd daemon still will not start.

2. When you backout patches it backs out ALL patches - not just the ones that you put in so I don't have any patches on my system now. They have suggested that I apply patch kit 7 to bring the system back to what it was before patch kit 8. I am in the process of scheduling this now.

I was hoping that someone might have some suggestions because tech support does not seem to know how to fix this and I can't back up this system until I am able to get mountd working.

Hi,

Check whether you have vmunix.PREPATCH file in your system. You may boot from this kernel and overwrite it to vmunix later. This would resolve your problem.

Good Luck.......

Does this affect patch kit level 12 on this version of the O/S? Please advise?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back