Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This file in use problem is killing me!!!! HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB786

MIS
Mar 14, 2002
This is not the first time I have worked with Access. Actually I am quite proficient at it now. We don't have a MS SQL Server here (I wish we did), anyway I created a database that runs great - no problems. I was then asked to create a yet another database but only show records for the employee logged in instead of all of the records. No problem. Got the BE built and then created an MDE with linked tables. Tested it and it worked fine. Rolled out to about 4 users. But if more than one person tries to access the db you get the error that file is in use. Here are some details:

1 - It is Access 2003
2 - Each user has a copy of the MDE on their desktop
3 - If I log into more than one pc and access the same DB no errors.

I think it might be a rights issue but the everyone group has modify rights to BE and MDE.

This is where I am stumped!!!

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,

:)WB

Are you using an .ADP file as your back-end?

--
Mike

Nope. Just the normal MDB.

Check Tools, Options, Advanced and ensure that Default Open Mode is set to Shared.

--
Mike

The options are set to default and I don't have any problems with default settings. But this one got me running in circles.

Thanks,

So are you saying you checked and verified that this setting is set to Shared?

--
Mike

That would be a correct statement.

OK got the problem resolved. I hate ACCESS locking technique. In the MDE it has links to two different BE one to store data and one to read employee info. The db where the employee info sits is in a different folder with only read permissions and not modify. So Access couldn't create a locking file. I gave that folder modify rights and problem solved.

I guess Microsoft programmers don't give out helpful diag errors so one doesn't spend half of their day looking for a solution that would have taken me only 3 seconds to resolve.

Thanks for the effort though,

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back