Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This device does not exist on the network FPD26 ON NT Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

spmnemrc

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
US
Using FPD 2.6 and running a compact EXE on an NT network with Windows 9x workstations we inconsistantly get &quot; This device does not exist on the Network. Reading drive <x>. &quot; The message in one case was solved by using an updated 3Com NIC card driver from 3Com, but in other cases other manufacturer NIC card updates have not fixed the problem.

This is a problem related o server drive being not available when requested. Probable causes...
1. In FPD2.6, you need to map the network drive and get a valid drive letter..
Example. NET USE F: \\MyServer\MyDirectory /YES
2. If the drive letter is made available.. but removing the drive by some other operation ... can create the problem
3. If the drive letter available.. and another process making such use of drive letter behind FPD2.6 can lead to same problem.
4. Improper network cabling can create the problem as well.. Examples: (a) 100 BPS attempted on a CAT3/CAT4 cable links (b) If you are using proper cable, still improper links made.. such as .. there are 8 individual lines.. (4 twisted pairs) in a cable. 1-2, 3-6, 4-5, 7-8 should make the pairs. Inadvertently, some cable makers make the cables 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 without paying attention to the twisted pairs. This lead to device errors, if the cable is fairly long. YOu can test it by keeping the workstation computer very near the hub using a small patch cable.. and you will notice, everything works fine. Use the longer cable.. you will get into same error situation..
Hope I have explained far more into the problem.
Hope the problem gets solved :)

ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com

Have you encountered this problem before. It only seems to be happening with our NT sites are you encountering the same?

I had similar problem related to cables. By reestabling the RJ45 hooks with proper pairing, it became a song !. I do not know, if your problem is related to cable establishment. Also, if the RJ45 gold plating is of bad quality, after a few insertions into the socket, they create similar problems.. These are all my experiences..
ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com

I have been at 3 of my sites where this problem is occuring. I have been up one side and down the other with cabling routing etc. it all seems OK. At one site I have two identical workstations running this DOS application on the NT server. One completes the process without lossing the connection the other fails. &quot;This device does not exist on the network. reading drive <x>.&quot; Do you know of any recent packet timing issues with NT 4.0 and FoxPro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back