Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

this copy of Windows did not pass Genuine Validation...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayaboy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
US
our office PC (Dell Dimension 3000) recently started getting a weird message: "this copy of Windows did not pass Genuine Validation" and is prompting us to purchase a 'genuine' copy of Windows...we cannot download the Microsoft updates anymore either. Don't know what could be causing this--we purchased this desktop directly from Dell just a couple of years ago, and haven't done any major hardware/software changes or upgrades. any ideas???

There is a crack to fool WGA into passing your PC as "geniune" but I doubt I'm allowed to post it here without being mauled by the admins ;)

I would contact Dell if I were you.

hi

First call Microsoft and give your product key they will validate and tell you whether is that a valid one or not if they said its not valid then esclate the case to Dell but most probably they will ask you do a clean installation or complete PC restore so becarefull while talking to them

but most probably they will ask you do a clean installation or complete PC restore so becarefull while talking to them

In which case you should ask to talk to the next level tech support. I had HP support morons tell me when my DVD burner quit working that they could only replace the failed DVD burner if I reformatted the HDD. Even though the DVD burner also did not work in two other systems.

Try some of the workaround suggested here to fix known problems with "Genuine Advantage".

Problems with XP Validation: Your copy is invalid
thread779-1300928

Oem's computer makers seem to take alot of abuse...
first thing first
you need to find the product key that is installed in windows and compare it the the product key on the case
I am betting they are not the same
this is because they mass produce in batches the preloaded drives....
here are some key finders

the easiest fix....This is a repost by the way

KeyUpdateTool The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key - all without a reinstall
This tool will not allow an incompatable or illegal product key to be installed.

And this tool verifys the product key installed

I use both programs and I am real happy with the results

your Product key should be on the case ....just change the number using the first program
then verify it using the second program

you can call the manufacture first to see if they will help you correct the product key that they screwed up...

or you can call Microsoft and ask for a new key if you can verify you have a valid microsoft xp cd or can prove the product key on the case is a corrupt Key from Dell

If you do call Microsoft tech support and get the India techs....all is not lost (except time) if they cannot understand the question you need to ask for a supervisor for elevated support. or ask he/she if they will patch you through to the Philippine support staff that are usually on the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back