Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This a strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkieSara

Technical User
Oct 31, 2004
US
Today we had a storm and the electricity went out. When the electricity came back on my desktop pc wouldn't work properly IE.... The Lan wouldn't resolve a host address, and then the keyboard and mouse went out. I turned it off and later turned it back on but the monitor won't come on. So I figured the power surge killed the MB on the pc so i switched towers. The monitor still wont come off override. Ok if that wasnt strange enough.. I hooked up ANOTHER monitor... Same thing. I decided to hook up another tower to see if maybe it was a problem with the monitor. (mind you now we are on a different monitor AND tower that were not hooked up to elec when the storm hit. Same thing happens. The computer is booting up, but the monitor still won't work. it did that with several monitors and towers. I just don't understand it they were all working fine just the other day. Anyone have any clues as to what to try?

Just how close was this storm? Lightning zapped the house next door perhaps?

Please clarify "The monitor still wont come off override" ??

Get an electrician to check your mains supply. Has the storm somehow damaged the neutral or earth connections to your property? Is the mains voltage within the expected limits?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hold down the power button for 5 seconds to make sure that you aren't in stuck in Hibernate mode (or pull the plug for a while)

I had a job where the same thing happened. Powere went out, desktop didn't boot. I was told NO VIDEO, but the machine said that it was loading saved settings or something, which proved that the screen was ok.

EZ money. I had to charge her more than I would have personally, but, she was allright about it.

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back