Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

This a simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

amb1s1

Technical User
Nov 21, 2005
US
Hi, My cousin have a travel/immigration consultant agency, as you know he got a lot of important files. The other day one of his employee deleted a lot of files, and he was very angry . He know that I'm study to be a network administrator, so he decide that it will be nice to me to setup a network for him. He has a least 5 computers. He want to be able to do file sharing, have a backup of his files, share printer and able to work from home. What is the best way to accomplish this.

amb1s1,

Much depends on where you are in your studies and/or your current experience.

If you want to setup an actual client/server situation using Microsoft systems, Small Business Server 2003 might be to your liking.

If your experience level is a bit more advanced you could setup a Linux Server to be a file server for clients using Microsoft or another OS.

Backing up should be part of any business enterprise.

You could also opt to establish a small network if using microsoft OS on the PC's. One could be a Server with file & printer sharing enabled.

Please keep posting what your progress is

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks,for your opinion.

I don't have much of experience, but I'm a fast learner.I think I'm going with the SMB 2003 and I'm going to buy a cheap dell sever because I'm going to use it for only 5 or 7 computers.

Any recommendation whitch brand should I buy from for the router, switcher and the server.

rvnguy, can you tell me what the advantage is of a linux file server, i have setup linux ones and i am wondering why people would want to install a linux machine in their windows environment.

lars

Network admin for worldwide freight forwarders company.
mcp mcsa\: Messaging mcse -2003

amb1s1,

You Might find some useful information Here:

Product Documentation for Windows Small Business Server 2003

I don't know the nature of the business. But I would suggest that at this point and to insure future requirements that you equip the Server with 2 and all clients with Gigabit Ethernet cards(Generic $12.00 US) and for the internal LAN a Gigabit switch. This can be of the consumer class for this small net. As SBS will handle the DCHP chores this is all that would be required if the clients do not need Internet access.

If Internet access is in order, and you have broadband you have several choices

1. You can Use ISA that I believe is only included in SBS Premium.

2. You can place a router/Firewall between the Broadband modem and the server, with it's DCHP disabled.

In either case the Server will be the Gateway that all clients will access the Internet through.

There are several mfg's that produce comparable Net gear, I favor/use D-Link, not for any specific reason.
See Links for My preferences:

Switch:

Router with VPN ability:

Hope This Helps

rvnguy

For all the tasks you mention above, any version of Windows server will accomplish this. The Windows standard server will allow you to...

"do file sharing, have a backup of his files, share printer and able to work from home."

The standard version of Win 2000, Win 2003, even Win NT server will do all that. Consider the business server if you wish to have all the additional services provided.

To work from home, you will need to make a connection to your network which can be a modem on your server attached to a standard phone line or through the internet. Use routing and remote access to configure. With the size you give, I'd do a phone line connection over a modem and then make a remote desktop connection to the server as well(basically like being physically logged into the server from home). The remote desktop gives good response over a modem connection. I would finish your education before attempting/upgrading to a connection through the internet, as the security risk involved requires more than basic knowledge.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

We have Business dsl at the office and regular dsl on the home computer. All computer need to have windows professional or can be home edition. Thanks every body here. This seems a good forum.

Larsdemo,

A bit of hijacking a post.

For many the costs associated with MS environments becomes expensive. Linux can be open sourced or paid with support. File serving is not a Windows only operation, owing to past Iron(mainframe) being DB servers and file repositories. So a Linux or BSD servers can be full functional to a multitude of client types.

A debatable advantage could be that Linux is under less attack for the outside than a MS product and therefore is considered safer.

rvnguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back