Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Third Master Hard Disk Error?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussOSU

Technical User
Apr 16, 2001
US
I rebooted my system. As I was shutting down it hung up mouse froze and everything. I hit the reset button (probably not my smartest move ever). As it was booting back up it froze when trying to post my hard drive. Eventually (1-2mins) it times out and postes my zip drive and my cd-roms, and gives me a Third Master Hard Disk Error. This error is confusing me, I searched google and this entire site and couldn't find anything. The other thing that confuses me is that I only have 1 hard drive and it is partitioned into 2 drives. I am confused where the third master hard disk is? Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Russ

The Jumpers on your devices is what makes a device Master or Slave. How many CD-Roms do you have in your system?

You might want to make sure that they do not have the Jumpers in the Master Slot unless it is on an IDE channel by itself. Also check your jumpers on your hardrive.

My comp has been running properly and fine for just over a month now. This is the first time I have gotten this problem so I am not sure what the problem is. On the right side of my screen I have a 0085 (assuming this might be the error code). When I enter the bios setup and go to my drives it recognizes my hard drive however it doesn't recognize it when I go to my boot priorities. I put my cd-rom as the first boot drive however it doesn't even allow me to boot that way. I checked my hardware monitoring in the bios and my system is running very hot right now but I don't think that could really have anything to do with my current problem. All of my fans (3 system and my processor) are working what appears to be proper speeds. However my Processor is running at 118-125F (It is a P4 3.06 w/ HT) and my system zones are 95 and 90F. All my voltages are around spec too. Any suggestions?

Ok I got my system working and I am even more confused now then I was before. I turned the machine off and sat waiting for responses. Came back tried for like a 5th time to get it to boot from the cd. It did this time right away. So I ran the winxp repair and wrote a new boot sector to the hard drive and now my comp boots fine. Not sure what allowed me to boot to the CD but I am happy it did. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back