Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thinkpad Voltage Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zandor435

Technical User
Jan 23, 2003
US
I have an IBM Thinkpad A30. I am taking it to new zealand from the states for a couple of months. I know that new zealand has 240 volt outlets and the US has 110 outlets. I read that most laptops are capable of handling both voltages. I was wondering if anyone knows if the thinkpad is capable of this. So do I need to purchase a step down to lower the voltage or just a converter? I looked all over the IBM website but could not find any help. If anyone has any helpful sites i would be most appreciative. Thanks alot.
Zach

Look on your adapter and it will give you the voltage and ampage that it converts to. All you need now is to get an adapter that has a matching output but is able to accept input votlage and ampage of 240V etc

Zandor435,
Some of the newer laptop ac adapter are auto-voltage capable. Meaning it can work on either 110 or 240. If you look at your adapter, if you see something like this..110-240~, then it is auto-voltage. I have an ibm tp a20m and it is auto-volt. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back