Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ThinkPad T40 has no video

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
The Thinkpad T40 (2373-8CU) that I have suddendly has no video (even when I try connecting an external monitor to it). When the laptop is powered on, everything else seems to be functioning okay (the LEDs for the battery, hard drive & power come on, the DVD drive ejects). Anyway, suspecting it to be an onboard video issue, I managed to locate a replacement systemboard but this hasn't helped (same issue). I've also replaced the LCD & inverter board but still nothing. I've tried pulling the memory, 1 at a time(there are two sticks @ 256MB each). I've also tried unseating/reseating the LCD cable. While I'm aware that the replacement systemboard could've been faulty, I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the Function f5 key to change the video over to the monitor (ie switching until you get something?).
Also does the lcd appear to power up (you know when you first turn the laptop on it kinda does a power wave over the lcd.. so you know it's got power?).

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Well as it turns out, installing a 2nd motherboard seems to have fixed the video issue (I can atleast see the IBM splash screen and get into the BIOS). However, no matter which boot option is set (and after exiting the BIOS), the laptop won't boot to anything except for a blank screen (won't boot from external floppy, CD or hard drive).

No, I haven't replaced the hard drive but regardless, shouldn't the laptop boot from the CD-DVD if that's the 1st boot option?

Does the T40 have a BOOT Menu (ESC or F12)? if so have you tried that?

can you get into the BIOS, and does it recognize the HDD and CDROM correctly?

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back