Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thinkpad T21 Problem!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bostard

Technical User
Mar 28, 2004
US
Ok. Recently my thinkpad starts to randomly blackout whenever it's plugged in to the wall. What i mean by black out is that everything just goes *poof* and I get a black screen (the power indicator is still green so the system is "on"). I try pressing buttons and tried the Fn + F7 to switch screens, but i get no response [thumbsdown]. I tried to reinstall the OS, but the system blacked out during the installation so I assume this is a hardware issue. Does any1 know how to solve this problem other than replacing the laptop? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!! [sad]

Don't think it's a hard drive issue,sounds more like either the system board or an lcd panel problem. typing this on a T21. Have you tried an external monitor to see if loosing the video,or if it is going to sleep.

i've tried plugging in an external monitor so it doesn't sound like the LCD is the problem. It's a hardware problem b/c i tried re-installing WinXP and that doesn't work.

Faulty motherboard?

I'm not blaming you. I'm just saying it's your fault.

I'm leaning towards motherboard as you indicate it does this only when plugged into AC power?!! Most likely a regulator is shot on the board. 3 year warranty from IBM on that machine.

I've tried recently with the Battery. It still has the problem but it's less frequent. I've also heard Laptop can Overheat? is that a possiblility? Maybe the internal fan is dead so the system locks up when it's too hot to prevent damage?

Where can i obtain a copy of a Thinpad T21 repair manual/technical manual?

I'm not blaming you. I'm just saying it's your fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back