Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thinkpad fingerprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
May have to do some work (disk cloning etc.) shortly on a Thinkpad with the fingerprint security feature enabled. I presume it's best to get the owner to disable it under IBM's Fingerprint Control Centre?

One other question springs to mind... What happens on a system that's crashed and won't boot? Can the Fingerprint Control Centre be manipulated (e.g. turned off, etc.) from a boot with another system like ERD Commander, XP CD Repair Console, or similar?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

probably...

I can even get past it being active, all I need is Elmer's Glue and a nice fingerprint from the owner (there usually are hundreds on the case or even the screen)...

Fingerprint Recognition at the Supermarket as insecure as Biometrics in Passports

Biometric Recognition Gets the Middle Finger

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks for that Ben, interesting... No doubt despite this the Government will press on ahead with biometrics.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

My wife has a Lenovo with fingerprint reader, it also carries a text password with it, in the event of service etc. I do not believe you are able to have the fingerprint reader as the sole source of security.

Tony

Users helping Users...

G0AOZ, the EU (at least Germany) is going along that same road now, since the US made it a prerequisite to entering the country...

wahnula, you shouldn't have the fingerprint as a sole security source anyways... if one has very important / top security data on a laptop, they should chain it to their body...

a coworker of mine uses encryption software that is stored on a USB stick, which he always carries on his person, without it the laptop will not boot...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Tony, perhaps you can deliberately corrupt a few files on your wife's laptop, and then tell us how easy or difficult it is to get in and sort it! [hammer]

ROGER - G0AOZ.

As long as the files corrupted do not deal with booting the PC I don't see it as a problem. Like I said, it also HAS to have a text "backdoor" for you to configure the biometric reader.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back