Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thinking of getting a second degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

drago762

Programmer
Dec 16, 2004
US
I have a B.S. degree in CIS and looking to continue my education. I am in a jack of all trades position (PC support, databases, programming, etc) and really do not see any benefits in getting a vendor certification. I would like to get some type of a business degree, however.

I've been weighing several options based on what is being offered at a local university.

1) MBA - the cost is approx $15,000 and it requires taking 18 courses

2) Masters in Management of Information Systems (MIS) - the cost is around approx $15,000 and requires approx 18 courses

3) A.S. in business - 8 courses (all pretty interesting), cost is approx $5000. The A.S. in business has many of the same types of classes as the masters (business law, marketing, etc). In addition to an AS, I was thinking of getting a B.S. in accounting OR some sort of tech school education (small engine repair or HVAC) to have something else to fall back on since this field is so volatile.

Is an MBA worth $10,000 more than an A.S. degree in business? While I have good people skills, I'm not too big on office politics and I'm thinking that politics would play a much bigger role in my career if I were to MBA. I would like to run my own business someday though and would like the extra business knowledge.

I'm curious if anyone has gone through any of the degree programs listed above, or have gotten a second degree in a field not listed. If so, was it worth the time and money? I'd like to do as much research and get as many opinions from as many different sources as possible before diving into anything. This is a diverse group of professionals and I would appreciate your feedback.

I don't see the value in getting an AS in anything since you already have a BS degree.

As to the choices between a BA/BS in accounting, or Master's degree in business, computer science, or other discipline, I would first try to understand where I wanted to be five years from now, and ten years from now. Which degree best fits in with that plan?

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I'm with Cajun -
Getting an Associates when you already have a Bachelors would seem redundant.

Have you looked at getting a second Bachelors in business? Might be cheaper, especially if they allow you to skip all the prerequisites that are in common with your current degree.

Chip H.

In my opinion, if you want to own your own business and you are not going to be a CPA or high-powered consultant, then getting an MBA would not be appropriate. And if you do not like office politics then an MBA probably isn't for you because it entails management, which envariably is entwined with politics.

I respect Canjun's opinions a great deal, however, I will waver slightly about the AS degree. If you want to get into a vocational field and don't have any experience, then the AS degree will have some value. But that would not pertain to getting an AS in business. If you want to get an AS then stick to the vocational side, like HVAC, which you mentioned.

But do look at where you want to be in five years or ten years and plan your educational goals according to that plan, as Cajun said.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm convinced that a master's would be much more valuable than an associates.

Next question is....

What's more valuable? A master's in MIS or an MBA? The goal would be a project management, systems analyst, database manager, or IT manager position in a small or medium sized company. Both degrees share many of the same business courses, although the MIS has an emphasis in IT.

Just a thought, an MBA might open up wider opportunities and might broaden your horizens.

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

Generally and MBA is a generalist degree that covers all the functional areas of business. If an engineer wants to get into management the next logical progression from a BSEE is an MBA.

Also, it is generally accepted that if an undergraduate degree is in an area outside of business, like a BSEE or even a history or english degree, then an MBA would be the more logical choice since the student will have classes in accounting, finance, marketing, etc.

However, if someone has an undergrad degree in business, then it would come down to what the person wants to do. An MBA, as stated is a general degree covering all functional areas with maybe 6 hours or a few more in a specific content area. With a master's in HR or management or any area, the student has most of their classes in the specific area with the exception of maybe 6 hours or a few more. Just the reverse of the MBA. So it comes down to what someone wants to do with their future and the type of degree that would be best for them to pursue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back